Monday, February 25, 2013

Hola familia,

Well, this is my last email from the MTC and I'm definitely excited. Half of my district is gone already, they left this morning. It feels weird. I'll be right behind them though! We got the weather report from Houston and apparently it has been 70's and 80's all week.

Well, I don't have a ton of time. I have to do all my packing today, and we still have class tonight, so for anyone that wrote me this week, please forgive me for not writing a letter. I'll try my best still tho. Tell Michelle thanks though for her cookies! They were so good!

This week was actually one of the best. I made a good friend with an Elder from a new district. Elder Hazlett. Him, Elder Stubbs and I have been hanging out all week and it has been tons of fun. We have been working out and running together. Elder Hazlett went to BYU before he came here and knows a bunch of people that I know. He is going to walk-on to the basketball team when he gets back and we all are planning on rooming together. (We'll see how long we remember)

I fast and pray for you guys all the time. I learned something interesting that I hope will help you. I heard a talk last week, that actually has helped me to move through the week. I've heard so many talks I can't remember even who it was by, but he said, there's two different kinds of people. There's the in-ward and the out-ward. The in-ward person thinks about things that could affect them temporally. They worry about things like I like to worry about. Sports, school, and things like that. He/her is focused on things of this world. He puts his trust in himself and has little confidence in the Lord. Generally, these people are good latter-day saints. Then, there is the out-ward type of person. The only thing this person focuses on is his own personal worthiness and the worthiness of his family. He makes sure that he does everything he can to come closer to the Lord, support his family and help other people. He knows, that no matter how things are going, that the Lord is taking care of him. Sometimes things went bad, and he had hard times. But, he knew that it was because the Lord was working on him.

I like to think of that talk as a house. Right now, all of us could be comparable to some type of living quarters. Whether it is a shack, or a mansion. When you put faith in the Lord, and follow His commandments, he starts to work on your house. For a shack to turn into a mansion worthy of the Lord to live in He has to do a lot of work. He'll have to tear down walls, and put new ones up. He may even have to change where your foundation is built. It hurts to get your walls knocked down, but you'll never be a mansion without it.

Anyway, when something bad happens and you turn inward and think about how bad things are, that's when the Lord we'll cease to do work on you. So, things may be very hard, things that I could never handle, but, if your are doing everything you can, I promise to anyone that reads this, that whatever is happening is for the best. You can't see the end of the road and the Lord can. But, whatever happens, don't let yourself get down. Satan whispers false things in your head and controls your thoughts when that happens. I promise, it will work out.

Also always look for ways to help other people so you can't think of yourself. Then, when you need help you will have a support system.

That's all I have, I'm 19 and I'm an idiot, but that's the best I can do. I promise, I will pray, fast, and do anything that I can possibly do for you. If you want to write me personally I will be more than happy to talk about any concern. That goes for everybody. (mom, dad, rachel, jared, and anyone else that is reading this) I won't ever tell anyone about anything, I'm more than willing to talk to anyone that needs help. There were times that I just needed someone to talk to and that made a difference.

I'm trying to send some pictures. (one is Stubbs and Hazlett and I and the other is my district) Hope you get them. Let me know what I can do. Tell Jared and Rachel that they will be getting a letter this week. Those are the only ones I'll probably send. Thanks so much for everything. I love you guys a ton. Your support keeps me going. I wouldn't be here without you.

Elder Benson

No comments:

Post a Comment